Sunday, August 26, 2007

How We Got Our Names

I've been thinking lately about the people I meet
The carwash on the corner and the hole in the street
The way my ankles hurt with shoes on my feet
And I'm wondering if I'm gonna see tomorrow.

Father forgive us for what we must do
You forgive us we'll forgive you
We'll forgive each other till we both turn blue
Then we'll whistle and go fishing in heaven.

I was in the army but I never dug a trench
I used to bust my knuckles on a monkey wrench
Then I'd go to town and drink and give the girls a pinch
But I don't think they ever even noticed me.

Fish and whistle, whistle and fish
Eat everything that they put on your dish
And when we get through we'll make a big wish
That we never have to do this again again

On my very first job I said thank you and please
They made me scrub a parking lot down on my knees
Then I got fired for being scared of bees
And they only give me fifty cents an hour.

Written by the John Prine, a fabulous human being.

4 comments:

1-4 Grace said...

What a great poem and story for your names!
I am impressed. :)

zorra said...

Yeah! Dang, I'm a John Prine fan, I should have remembered this.

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Love John Prine (Angel from Montgomery is one of my all-time favorites) and love this song, but especially I love you guys, Whistle and Fish, and wish you a crunchalicious birthday.

1-4 Grace said...

Pist!
Whistle, Fish!
I think i saw a package marked for Mississippi and Momma had some stuff in a bag earlier this week.
I think i know what some of it is.I tried to knaw on the corner a bit to see, but Momma stopped me!
OH!!!!
Guess who is here now?
Grandma and Grandpa! they came 6 hours just to see me! I climbed up in Grandpa's lap and tried to share his milk and cookie, but he won't let me.
Grandma rubbed my back and told me how pretty I am.
I love it when they come to see me!!!!
Happy Birthday to you both!!!
Now you will be two, just like me.
We are "legal" and everything.
We get to buy our own catnip and Greenies now.
Melech